Welcome to the last week of the 2020 CSA! It’s a bittersweet moment for us- we are sad to cut the season short, but it has been so incredible to see how you, our CSA community, have come together for the farmers during this challenging season. We cannot thank you enough for your compassion, understanding, flexibility, and support!
We are all looking forward to taking some time to clean the farm, slow down a little, reflect on the 2020 season, and (believe it or not) soon start to plan for 2021. We’ve realized that the idea of the “slow season” in the winter isn’t quite as accurate as we’d maybe like; the next few months will be full of meetings, evaluation, and planning that keeps us a different kind of busy!
Your bags this week have many different storage crops- here are more recipes than there are days in a Maine winter (including a cake recipe that was a member favorite last year) and some links with storage tips to help you make the most of them. Enjoy your fall, and we look forward to hearing from you in 2021!
Recipes for Winter Crops:
Resources for storing your veggies:
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup grated beets
- 1 cup grated apple
- 3 eggs well beaten
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the carrots, beets, apple, eggs, oil, vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (all remaining ingredients except for the walnuts).
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well mixed and fold in the walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Recipe from https://fraichenutrition.com/beet-carrot-apple-cake/